June 03, 2011

You didn't think I'd do it?

A few minutes ago, I sent this tweet:





And got this reply:





You didn't think I'd actually do it, did you Emily? Well, this is me proving you wrong. Kinda. I'm not really going to talk much about you, just how we met...

Em and I "met" on a lovely chat site called UKChat. I'd been sent there one night from another chatroom, and boy am I glad I was. Everyone knows how rare it is to find normal people in an Internet chatroom - it seemed they'd all flocked to this site! It was a UK chat site (duh) but I felt right at home as an Aussie. My regular name was AussieActress[whatever age I was] but occasionally to trip up newcomers I'd go by AntipodeanThesbian.

Eventually I became a moderator, or Host, and the fun really began. My Host name was UKCAmbrosia - unbeknownst to me, Ambrosia is a brand of rice pudding over there, so some people called me UKCPudding - and I loved it. I loved sitting up at all hours interacting with so many people, even though they were on the other side of the world. If it weren't for UKC, I doubt I would have gone on to join the few forums I've been on to talk about my life. My wedding wouldn't have been so good (thanks, bridesdiary!) and I wouldn't have known anything about birth, breastfeeding, how to cope with stillbirth (thanks Bellybelly!)...

So thanks a bunch, UKChat, I owe you a lot.

Photobucket

(Em's my birthday buddy because we share a birthday. Kinda. We were both born June 10, but with the time difference there's only a little window where we're celebrating together...)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading!