Drum roll please....
I have polycystic ovaries. Hooray.
|See how happy I am?|
What I'm not happy about is how the doctor dealt with it. I've seen this doctor a few times (being a public patient, usually I would see a different doctor every time I went in) and I knew he was hopeless from when we got Ianto's results. He skims over results, tells me things I already know, speaks reallyquicklysoIcan'tunderstandwhathe'ssaying and in a really strong, indecipherable accent... You get the picture. So, I wasn't too surprised when this happened:
- He walked into the room and asked if I'd been to this hospital before. I promptly snapped "yes, many times" as I always do when I'm stuck with him.
- He glanced over my ultrasound results and said something about how I wasn't ovulating when I had it. When was my last period? Again, I snapped at him. "It finished the day before the ultrasound." I happened to look at the screen and noticed down the bottom it said "Conclusion: Polycystic ovaries." I crapped my pants and waited for him to come to it. Then...
- He started looking at the blood test results I got a month ago and telling me the results of those. I told him I already knew that, and could he please tell me what the ultrasound said?
- He ignored me again, and asked for clarification about my miscarriage - "it was at 22 weeks, correct?" Let me say that again. He asked about my miscarriage at 22 weeks. Last I checked, Ianto was stillborn at 32 weeks. And legally, at 22 weeks, that would still be a stillbirth! I almost yelled at him the correct details, and asked about the ultrasound again..
- He again told me that I wasn't ovulating (DUH!) and started talking himself through the results.
It didn't even phase him that I was angry and so close to punching him in the face. He just casually said something about how I've had it for my entire life, he can't see how I didn't know already, blah blah blah. I asked what we're going to do to treat it, and the bastard laughed at me! He said that there's no cure, all he could do is give me something to make me ovulate. I knew that already. That's what I meant when I asked about treatment. Then he said something else and I had to physically restrain myself.
He won't give me the drug (Clomid) unless I'm not pregnant by December. Because I managed to get pregnant with Ianto without help. We explained that we had gone without contraception for a year beforehand, we just weren't actively trying until just before we found out I was pregnant. But no. He won't do anything about it. I even asked if he could prescribe it anyway, for my own peace of mind, and he said no because the risk of multiples is higher on Clomid. Wow, too bad if I actually wouldn't fucking mind having multiples! Yes, I know that there's more risk of miscarriage, prematurity, etc. with multiples. But that doesn't outweigh my need to have another baby.
MATHS GEEKS, PLEASE CORRECT THIS NEXT PARAGRAPH IF I'M WRONG!
Let me put it this way. I don't know the exact numbers, so let's say the probability of having multiples on Clomid is 50% and the probability of having premature birth in multiples is also 50%. I would have a 25% chance of premature multiple birth on Clomid. 75% says I would have a normal, full-term birth, possibly a multiple one. Does that make it easier to understand? I'm willing to risk that 25%.
|My head hurts now.|
So, in conclusion, I'm changing hospitals as soon as I can.
Next post: I celebrate Red Nose Day.