May 24, 2010

Listen to that song again

I started noticing something in songs when I was pregnant with Ianto. Many romantic love songs can be taken in a different light – as if they're about parental love. My favourite from all the millions that can be taken this way would have to be Don't wanna miss a thing by Aerosmith. Yeah, it somewhat already has these undertones, given that it was used in the movie Armageddon, and Steve Tyler originally agreed to do the song because his daughter was the female lead of said film, but almost every line in that song can be interpreted as a parent talking to his or her child. Anyone who's a parent, especially those with toddlers, think about your child while listening to that song next time you hear it. The second verse is perfect I you co-sleep – "…lying close to you, feeling your heart beating…" – it just fits!


When I was pregnant, I continually listened to Michael Buble's Just haven't met you yet. I found this song before it hit us here in Australia – downloaded it and stuck it on my iPod playlist that I would play to my tummy. Not all of the song is appropriate for pregnancy. In fact, I've since realized that most of it is more appropriate for those who have had multiple miscarriages – "…broken my heart so many times I've stopped keeping track…" "…I might have to wait, I'll never give up, I guess it's half timing and the other half's luck…"


Don't cry like this. It's depressing. And makes you ugly.
And for stillbirth, or postnatal death, there's sad break-up songs. It's harder to come across these, a lot of breakup songs are angry. But boy bands are a fount of knowledge in this regard. From 5ive's Invincible to the Backstreet Boys' Show me the meaning of being lonely, if you listen to the lyrics of a lot of songs, you'll find your mind shapes them to fit your own situation.


Now for the funny side. Surely you've heard the song Oh what a night. You know, "Oh what a night, late December back in '63…"? Weeeell… I listen to that song, and I've never seen it as about sex (which is what it's supposedly about!) It's obviously about a pregnant woman giving birth, from the perspective of the baby being born. Think about it. "You know I didn't even know her name, but I was never gonna be the same…" "Spinning my head around and taking my body under" "Why'd it take so long to see the light?" Obviously about pregnancy and childbirth!
 

PS - Just discovered I can write my blogs and publish them from Microsoft Word - so if ever inspiration strikes and I don't have internet connection, I can still write, format, etc! Woo hoo!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading!